Saturday, October 04, 2008

Oh my aching body....and mind!

I'm really glad that I've chosen to start as a CNA as I finish up my pre-req's for the nursing program because I am getting so much experience with what nursing will actually entail when I get to that point.

First, it is so emotional. There are two types of patients in long term care....the older persons with physical and mental ailments and older persons with physical ailments who are sound mentally and honestly I don't know which is worse. Those with severe physical ailments who are sound mentally cry out and plead with you and take their toll and those who have mental ailments cry out and plead with you as a child would and I am not sure which is worse. But it does feel good to try to make them as comfortable as you possibly can.

Second, it's so physical. A lot of older persons just look so small and frail...they weigh a TON. It's like their bones are made of bricks or something because by the end of my 12 hour shift I could barely roll a resident my back hurt so much. Let's not even talk about my feet after 12 hours! Ouch!

I am sure I'll get used to it, I'm just glad I'm only going once a week for now, until I get used to how things are with my body and emotions. I think I'll be ready because even though it is such an exhausting (physically and mentally) experience, it's also exactly what I want to be doing. Taking care of patients is very rewarding.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed