Yesterday morning while Jakey was playing on the playground at school a man pulled up to "drop off his daughter" and the man behind him got out of his car and opened fire on him, shooting the car he was driving four times. No one was injured, the principal says the man does not have any children at the school, and the kids were placed on lockdown. Rumors swirled all day on the campus and NONE of us parents were notified. We got a note home saying there had been a lock down but not WHY the school was locked down and my terrified 8 year old had to describe to me hearing gunshots while playing out in the open and feeling terrified. When he asked to use a phone later in the day (he's not allowed to turn his cellphone on at school) he was told "no, because all the other kids will want to also and can't." He wanted to call home and maybe come home from the afterschool program, not skip a day's worth of learning! The news even carried the story, but we weren't notified except a note about the lockdown.
Now, I understand that they can't call every parent and tell them what happened, but SOMETHING should have been done to inform us....AND if my child asks to use the phone, they dang well better let him! I have explained to Jakey that the no cellphone during school hours rule is fine, unless there is an emergency, if he feels sick, scared, or sad he can ask to use the restroom and turn on his cell in there to call home. I mean that was just ridiculous!
So, he was totally torn this morning...he didn't feel safe going to school but he doesn't want to get further behind (he's struggling) or lose perfect attendence so he went, but he was nervous about it.
Tonight is Back To School night, I can't make it (my mommy guilt is like SERIOUS today) because I have a CPR Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers that I HAVE to take for school tonight, but Kevin is going and is going to address their lockdown policies and their refusal to allow the phone call.
Week 26: Recovering
5 years ago

5 comments:
WOW.
I think it's absolutely unacceptable that they didn't try to contact the parents. They need some kind of system in cases like this! Poor Jakey. Glad everyone is safe.
I feel your pain - our school was locked down on three different occasions last year. (A parent who is a police officer had gang threats against him) We were notified about the lock downs but, like you, with VERY little info. I'm guessing that they do that to avoid the panic that could ensue but it still leaves you feeling helpless and vulnerable. I know it would be chaos to let every child call home but it seems they would have some kind of arrangements to help them feel safe. Especially the kids who witnessed it or felt threatened. I know - I talk too much - but this world is such a scary place !
How scarey for the kids. They should have all been allowed to call home and go home if their parents wanted. too freaky...
That's terrifying!!!!!!!! They should have done something. Gah! I hope Kevin gave them an earful!
BTW...your hair and Jayden's hair look so cute in those pictures a couple posts below! :)
How scary! Poor Jakey! He definitely should have been allowed to call home,that is ridiculous! Poor guy. :(
Post a Comment