Monday, November 10, 2008

Pracitice Kid

I feel fairly confident of my parent skills as far as raising a four year old and a one year old go. I've got that stuff down. Temper Tantrums - ignored, potty training - non issue it'll happen sometime, Biting - it'll pass, Not Sharing - it'll pass too...I understand these things, and I accept them, and feel capable of handling them. What I don't feel capable of handling is my tween.

Jakey. At 9 years old I just don't know what to do with him. He's not a child, not a teen, he just doesn't fit into any category. He is beginning to have a social life, beginning to need deodorant, beginning to be super emotional because he's not even sure what he wants, he's just so - different. But so much like me at his age. He wants to spend all his time with his friends and resists family time, but does go with it because he knows what it means to me.

Is it like this with the first always? I feel like I've never really known what to do with him, like he's our practice model and I think sometimes we really messed up!

Physically he's just so big lately! He's just a hair under 5 feet tall, weighs 80 lbs, wears big shoes and bigger clothes than ever. Just started wearing deodorant and just started caring about his looks intensely.

Emotionally he's confused about how he feels and overwhelmed by it. He cries easily out of frustration but is angry because he's frustrated and doesn't know why. He's also super happy to super sad super fast.

Man, this parenting stuff is hard. I thought lack of sleep, poopy diapers, and breastfeeding were difficult. Those things are a breeze compared to parenting someone into an adult! I am sure things will just get more interesting around here as he gets older!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh man, and I kept thinking it had to get easier. LOL

I stress way, way, WAY more over my firstborn than my second, too. Why is that??

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

OK, now this may sound tough but look at your husband....you can't expect any more out of jake than you do his dad. men are almost always little boys way into their 40's. boys have hormones, too. they change alot. hopefully they won't last too long. he'll want to fit in but at nie, it's going to be a while. I have always maintained that if every couple waited until their first born was 13, they would never have a second child. There are so many milestones/changes during those 13 years and that's not even driving or high school sports! just have confidence in all that you have instilled in him thus far and don't change the way you two govern your family. the rukes must stay the same. don't give in to whining--you will regret that forever......Good Luck!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed