Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I think alot of times in parenting you have to walk this really fine line between "I'll never do that to my child..." and what will actually happen when you have children and the skills you've been equipped with to handle the circumstances that arise when parenting your own real, not hypothetical children. Hypothetical children are much better behaved than real children.

I see learning opportunities when trying to teach a valuable life lesson during a crisis point with my kids and then I lie in bed, awake at night, thinking "I should have done it this way" or "I should have said this instead of that" and vow to do better the next time an issue like that comes up. But the next time something comes up I think again, aw man, I could have handled it by doing this and it would have been so much better!

Tonight, on the way to Jakey's cub scout pack meeting my mom missed the turn to the park we were meeting at and went up to the next light. Justin overheard my mom say, "It's ok, I'll just make a u-turn." and he said, "Did you mess up Grandma?" and when she said, "yeah I meant to turn back there but missed it a little bit." Justin told her, "it's ok, cause U-turns are allowed here, so it'll be just fine."

It's ok, u-turns are allowed here, it'll be just fine. That's pretty good parenting advice too.

4 comments:

Beth said...

This may just be the wisest post ever put on the Internet. Love it. Love how you put that first part: we learn from parenting your own real children, not our hypothetical ones.

And yes, u-turns are a-okay! :-)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Dawn, you should consider writing a self-help book, using all these wonderful witticisms. You do have a way with the written word and you have a tremendous, unending library of true facts and quotes!
Jake is indeed wise beyond his years. And here I thought it was Justin who had all the wise responses! :)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Asparagus is so easy to fix. First of all, you should check my blog-Parker's General. I have recipes there.#29 is really good. #255 is a new one and it is good, as well.#188--use the dijon recipe on steamed asparagus. You can put them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with olive oil and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Bake in a 450' oven for about 5-6 minutes. The thing about asparagus is that most people overcook it. To steam it-if you don't have a regular steamer-put about an inch of salted water in a skillet and bring to a hard boil. Drop the spears in and put a lid on it. Remove from heat. Let it sit about 3 minutes. You can make garlic butter just like you would for bread and use it.
One of the hubby's favs is to saute an onion in butter, add your chopped asparagus and stir for 1 minute. Add beaten eggs and stir until eggs are set. Sprinkle on some cheese-we like white like Romano or Parmesan or Asiago--and serve. You can add whatever you like mushrooms or bacon. If I think of anymore I'll let you know. Just remember-don't overcook. The boys got it right-raw is good. We eat it straight out of the garden.....

Jennie said...

that is so great! i love it! thank heavens for u-turns!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed