Sunday, May 04, 2008

My Sunday (Lesson and Missionary Experience!)

Last Sunday the Relief Society President mentioned that the missionaries hadn't had dinner all week, so I felt inspired to invite them for dinner this Sunday. So I filled that spot on the calendar and then promptly forgot all about it. A few days ago Kevin invited our best friends, David and Yaneth, to dinner, at the exact same time as the missionaries would be here for dinner. And he promptly forgot about telling me about it. Sooooooooo, last night the missionaries called to confirm and David and Yaneth called to confirm and we were like "uh oh."

David and Yaneth are interested in our religion in an "oh that's interesting" kind of way. They think we're "peculiar" to an extent because of our beliefs but not in a bad way, like I said, it's in an "that's interesting" kind of way. So, here we have them and the missionaries coming and we're like how do we tell them the missionaries will be here? Well we chose not to. LOL We decided to call it a happy accident and just go with the flow - I had a lesson for Relief Society to prepare after all!

So I was a bit nervous about dinner all day, but I was incredibly sidetracked by my lesson so I couldn't let that get to me. My lesson turned out pretty well. There are some things I wish I would have said, sources I wish I had cited better here and there, but it turned out really nice. I have to say, I was not fishing for compliments and I got a few that man my face turned about 100000000 shades of red, but the ladies were so sweet. And everyone should have their mom come when they teach cause my mom complimented me during the lesson too and it was so embarrassing. The lesson was about Your Divine Heritage...now in Relief Society that's what we call it because it's pretty, I've taught this lesson before in Primary it's called - I am a Child of God. LOL So I knew my material pretty well.

So, after church the ladies were so sweet and I realized, I really feel like part of the ward now! It may have been that I've been very "in your face" the past few weeks having to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting and then teaching in Relief Society, and trying to attend every Enrichment activity I can find, but I'm starting to feel accepted and like a member of the ward. I thought it was never going to happen, that I wouldn't feel as much a ward as I did in Fairview ward again, but I'm really starting to feel that way.

Ok, so missionary experience, we get home as quickly as we can and finish preparations to dinner - and our guests begin to arrive. Luckily it was missionaries first and we explained the whole situation to them and they were AWESOME. At first David seemed a little nervous about the idea of eating with the missionaries but once he realized they weren't going to like run a bath to baptize him or anything, LOL, he really relaxed and warmed up to the situation. They asked questions about how missions work and were very interested in what the Elders are out there doing every day. I had told Yaneth that I was giving a lesson in Relief Society and so I brought that up at dinner and we talked a little about the Plan of Salvation, in that we're children of God and so on, and I brought up an investigator who has been at church the past few Sundays and asked how lessons with her were going and so David and Yaneth asked how lessons work and all of that and then it was time for them to get to an appointment so Kevin ran them to their appointments and that was the end of dinner. It was nice and simple and you could feel the Spirit and I think it left David and Yaneth feeling more comfortable about the Gospel and Missionaries...so I think it was a good thing.

Anyhow, so my crazy Sunday turned out ok. And I just realized that I forgot to start the dishwasher, so I better get to that, but what a day, huh?

6 comments:

Beth said...

That is SO COOL!! I'm glad your lesson went well (loved that line, "I've taught this lesson before in Primary it's called - I am a Child of God."; made me giggle!) and feeling "part of the ward" is wonderful ... and how awesome that your friends got to meet the missionaries and talk about the gospel. What a neat experience!

Look at you and your good works! You rock. :-)

Kate said...

To echo Beth, you so rock! :)
I've got a big smile on my face after reading this post . . . you had a great day, girl . . . way to grow! :)

Jennie said...

that is so great! good for you! i love how missionary work makes you feel! i need to be more involved with it!

Rachel said...

It sounds like you neded up having a pretty good day.

The Bertagnoles said...

WOW! What a sunday. I would hae been a little stressed, too, but Im glad it all worked out for you!!! :}

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Awesome....it sounds so exciting compared to my everyday life. we hardly ever have company and we are so busy anyway but I love to host parties....we try to have a barbeque evry summer where we invite about 50 people. that is awwesome. I love to cook for big groups. I don't like cleaning up. therefore paper plates and throw away glasses and silverware.....

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed