Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I was just thinking...

about Kara's post (look I think I made a link!!!!) about dishes and though....

"I wonder what chores other people have their kids do?"

Jakey does unloading and reloading the dishwasher and setting the table for dinner. He also takes out all trash, cleans his bathroom a few times a week and makes his bed - and picks up his room mostly. Sometimes I have him vacuum here and there or put away some laundry - those aren't all the time things though. Oh and he feeds and waters the dog (I didn't want it, I'm not feeding it!)

Justin picks up his toys in the living room, removes all toys from the tub when Jakey is cleaning the bathroom, makes his bed, and puts his and Jakey's clothes in the hamper (His contribution to cleaning their room).

Sometimes I wonder if Justin needs more to do or Jakey needs less or if they're about at age appropriate? I've been having Jakey help with dinner a little more - like cutting the lettuce for the salad or stirring something on the stove for me, or putting biscuits on a pan for me to throw in the oven. I kind of feel like I will have failed them if they go on their missions or get married or go away to college or something and they can't do any of these things.

So, what chores do your kids do?

3 comments:

Beth said...

Logan is just barely understanding things well enough to take direction. It is still hard to get him to work, as he does things soooo slow, but I still try to have him do a few things:
~Take his breakfast bowl to the dishwasher (I help him rinse it out and he puts his bowl and spoon in the dishwasher -- I usually have to help with the bowl!)
~Pick up certain toys (crayons, blocks, etc.) and put them away
~Help clear table (put things like ketchup bottles or salad dressing in the fridge)
~Load/unload silverware from the dishwasher (I often need to redo the sorting)
~Throw dirty diapers, miscellaneous garbage into the trash

I would think that as for Justin's chores vs. Jakey's chores, they should be spending about an equal amount of effort and time as one another. If they are both working hard (and I like that you have them working together on certain chores, like cleaning the bathroom or bedroom) then they should finish at about the same time, even though Jakey could finish Justin's chores much quicker.

(I am giving advice to you, even though you are way more of an experienced mom! :lol: So take that for what it's worth.)

Kara said...

Baby of course is still too little, but I try to get Toddler to help me clean. He's getting better at picking up his toys and putting them on his shelves. He loves helping me unload the dishwasher (though he has broken a plate and I've had to hurry to get knives out of his reach) he espeically likes putting the utensils away (like Beth I have to resort them lol). He will bring things to another room for me or put laundry in the hamper or dishes in the sink or garbage in the can.

Kara said...

Oh, and good job on getting the link!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed