Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Jakey's School Issues - Updated

I talked to the principal of Jakey's school this morning and while I found conversating with him on the phone aggrevating - he talks over you with "uh huh, uh huh, ok, got it" all. the. time. - he did seem to understand my frustrations with the summer school/tutoring stuff and how scared I am that Jakey will fall behind again when retention isn't an option for him again. Anyhow, he's going to look into Jakey's test scores a bit more and talk with his teacher, tutoring isn't an option because it's over for the year now and summer school isn't open but we discussed summer school and decided that we wouldn't enroll him because he needs to go to things like Cub Scout Day Camp just as much as he needs tutoring and help over the summer, and the principal did agree with that. So he's going to get test scores and talk with Jakey's teacher and try to come up with a plan to prevent Jakey from starting 3rd grade behind, again. He's also going to have a reading coach (helps with writing too) sit with him and come up with a summer plan for us and a math coach as well. Then they will provide us with some summer teaching materials to work with him on our own this summer.

I think this is the best plan for Jakey. I think that things like daycamps and cabin and beach trips are just as important as learning in a traditional setting, so I'm not terribly disappointed in him not being in summer school. And it seems like they're willing to work with him to be sure he doesn't fall behind. The principal did mention that he too has a child with a late b-day and they chose to hold the child back before starting K, so I think that he understands moreso what we've been through as parents.

So everyone asks me, will we start Jayden (since her b-day is the same day as Jakey's) at 4.5 or wait a year and the answer is - I don't know. I don't know if the laws will be the same when she's older and I don't know what she'll know or how she'll be...so I'm not sure - I'd love to say that I'd never put another 4 year old in school, but I'm more ready to say I'd never put another 4 year old BOY in school again, that I'm pretty sure about! LOL But who knows about Jayden. What amazes me is the Justin is nearing the age when we sent Jakey to Kindergarten and I just think Justin's still such a baby - he's definitely not ready - good thing he's going to Pre-Kindergarten next year!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

thanks for updating us. i was so shocked at your initial responses from the school! so i am glad that you were able to voice your concerns and everything...

i agree with the boy thing... they just do things at different rates than girls!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

all kids mature at different rates. you can't predict the future anyway. or is there something you're not sharing?
glad you have things settled for your own peace of mind. i think all kids deserve their summer breaks!!!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed