Thursday, April 17, 2008

Just Your Typical Day at the County Health Department...

Justin needed a physical for pre-Kindergarten for this fall, so I called his pediatrician that I do like, and they couldn't get him in (Kindergarten physical rush and all) and so I called the public health department and they got us an appointment. So I didnt' have high hopes, but Justin just had a 4 year well child check up 2 months ago and so I wasn't worried he had a disease or anything, just need the form filled out, so I went in not thinking this would be the best experience, but I was surprised!

The clinic wasn't in a particularly great neighborhood but I felt totally safe the whole time and the people in the waiting room were awesome. Everyone was super nice and the kids all talked to eachother or watched TV nicely. Interestingly this was my first time seeing Yo Gabba Gabba and WHAT THE HECK is up with that show? Wow, just wow. What kind of drugs do you have to be on to come up with that children's show! Anyhow, it took a LONG time, but it wasn't unpleasant at all.

They did his vision test and agreed, the boy can't see without his glasses. She asked about all of his milestones and those types of things and he's hitting them. He can skip and walk on his tip toes and spoke clearly and nicely to her. Then she asked him to take off his shirt so she could examine him. Oh. My. Goodness. You'd have thought they were trying to murder him. Justin screamed and fought tooth and nail (Kevin even) to keep his shirt on. She finally got to listen to his heart and all of that and gave him back his shirt only to turn around and say "OK I need to check your testicles now" Let's just say I'm no longer afraid to send Justin to the men's room! Wow! He put up quite the fight, he was NOT showing her his privates!

Anyhow, several hours later, three to be exact, he's been cleared for attendance at local public pre-kindergarten and was given a lead test, finger pricked for anemia, and had a tb test, no shots until next spring in preparation for Kindergarten. Big boy!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed