Thursday, August 14, 2008

What Business Is It Of Theirs??

I received a letter in the mail, probably several days ago because of where I found it when I was cleaning the house this morning, from our insurance company regarding Jayden's immunizations being behind. Justin's immunizations were never up to date until recently because he was a preemie and we felt it best to delay his. I'm not anti-vaccine...there are plenty of people who have risk factors or belief systems that compel them to not immunize and since I don't fall into those categories I immunize to maintain the "pack immunity" in their place but health insurance in general has been a sore subject this entire year.

Earlier in the year I could hardly find a doctor to see Jayden, let alone immunize her! She's had her 2 month and 4 month shots, she is behind on her 6 month shots and I don't think she needs any at 9 months. When we took her for her 4 month shots (at 7 months old) the doctor acted like it was no big deal...then we got our EOB for the visit and Holy Uncovered Until You Pay Your Deductible Expensive Shots Batman! $300! Yeah. So. I'm working on paying that off, I had to pay for my surgery too (to the tune of my $500 deductible plus 35% of my surgery!) so we're suffering from craptastic insurance AGAIN.

So WHY, if my insurance company cares SO MUCH about Jayden's health that they'd send me a letter about not immunizing her on time do they not just COVER the stinking shots like they do the wellchild visit with a copay? I'll tell you why...it's in fine print at the bottom of the letter I recieved "The development and distribution of these materials is supported by Wyeth." Wyeth, the makers of Prevnar...oh yeah Blue Cross is just lookin' out for us! Uh huh.

(Don't worry, she'll get her shots on September 11th at her next well child visit...when I finally get those stinking 4 month shots paid off! $200 more to her annual deductible...One shot, plus stick fee....)

Edited to add - and now they CALLED me! LOL

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed