Friday, March 23, 2007

"So, what are you going to feed your baby?"

Today I went to the dr's. I saw him for like a minute while he ordered an IV for me during my "orientation" and prescribed me a pill to take every 3 hours after my suppository.

So anyhow, the nurse takes me and this other lady into a room and starts a movie about having a baby. The other lady, this is her 5th pregnancy, and well you all know I'm experienced. So we're both just chatting during it. But there was this one part where you "scored" your pregnancy, that was pretty interesting. It was like a point system, 1 pt for spotting, 2 pts for previous c-sections, 4 pts for something else like diabetes, right? So anyhow I ended up with 8 pts total, I can't remember what they were all in, I wish I'd had a pencil. So the "score" is 0-3=normal pregnancy, 4-6=high risk pregnancy, and 7+= "Extreme" pregnancy. So with 8 pts I am having an "extreme pregnancy" LOL.

Then the nurse comes in and says, "So which formula are you ladies planning on feeding your babies?" and when I said "none" the nurse looked at me like I had 4 heads! She's like, "what are you going to feed your baby?" I almost didn't know what to say!! I was so shocked! I was like "Um, breastmilk?" And she just looked more confused and said, oh I never thought of that. She never thought of breastfeeding????? Anyhow she came back and gave us both Similac diaper bags filled with samples and said, "we don't really have very many people breastfeed I suppose, so here's a Similac bag."

What's weird is that my dr never said anything one way or the other last time...he was my dr with Justin. This is a brand new practice so I'm sure he's just getting himself established after having Kaiser furnish everything, but I was surprised there was NOTHING about breastfeeding!! So, he had left for the day by the time my "class" was over, but I plan on talking to him about this next time I go see him on April 2nd!!

"I never thought of breastfeeding?" Yikes!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

That's so odd! Usually it's the other way around at the doctor's I've been to and it's all about the breastfeeding. Hmmmm...that nurse is a little weird!

maren out my laundry said...

really weird!

Lorie said...

That is weird!

Kara said...

Wow! That is weird! I'm just sitting here shaking my head, just speechless, lol.

Kate said...

wonder if that nurse was ever a mom . . . but STILL . . . sheesh! *rolls eyes*

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed