Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Hate Confrontation!

Argh. I'm about to have a blow up with my mom and I know it. And I hate that it's going to happen. :(

Kevin went to work yesterday and didn't know that he was going to have to stay down in the town he's in for a few days. So he had taken our car to his work, but he's not going to be back for a while. Which, I might need milk or something in the meantime so I need to get the car.

So our plan was - my mom would take me to church this afternoon. She meets in the same building, that I live around the corner from, and she gets out at noon. She'd bring her van, and I'd make lunch, then she'd drop me off. Then, at 4 when I got out, she'd be back, with the van, and drop me off and go back for Choir practice (for her ward). So, I loaded up the kids just before 1, and left Jayden's carseat in the van. I never take it in, I told her I was leaving it, she watched me take Jayden out of it. And Justin's booster (that she owns) was in the van.

Anyhow the reason for our soon-to-be fight is coming...

So she comes back at 4 WITH HER CAR and WITHOUT our carseats. So I tell her go grab a red bucket infant seat for Jayden out of our garage and Justin's booster off our porch (we always keep a spare booster around the house). So she came back with the bucket seat but it's one that HAS to be buckled into it's convenience base or it won't strap into the car AT ALL. So there's no base. So, it's around the corner so I say, ugh, it's fine I'll just walk. So we come home and I'm supposed to look for the convenience base. Well it's NOT here. We're supposed to go get my car and then go to my mom's house for dinner when she's done with choir practice, we cannot go with this current carseat situation. She HAS to go get Jayden's carseat from the van or Jayden has no LEGAL or SAFE way to ride anywhere. And I know she's going to blow up at me when I tell her this. She thinks carseats are stupid, that her children didn't use them and we're all fine so that must mean that they're stupid. Which is lame because cars aren't even made of the same materials anymore, and people drive faster, and there are MORE drivers on the road then ever before so obviously there are reasons for new laws.

Anyhow I'm not looking forward to when she calls to tell me she's done with choir and I tell her that i can't find the convenience base (in the move it seems to have gotten lost, this is our back up carseat, it's not like we're overly careful with it) and that she has to get Jayden's carseat from her house (pretty far away)...she's going to yell at me, even though this is HER fault for changing cars and not getting the carseat. Ugh. I wish she could just smile and laugh about her mistake and move on, but that is just not how she is. I wish I could just say whatever, I'll get it later, but I'm LITERALLY stranded without the carseat, and I can't go get my car without it. Ugh.

Well give me courage because she's almost done, and I don't know what to say because I know she's going to yell and this is so not my fault. And it's SOOOOOO unsafe and illegal to not have Jayden buckled up. I would NEVER forgive her if anything happened and that's just not a chance I'm willing to take.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm with you, there are no if and or buts when it comes to car seats. I hope you stood your ground. It sucks that she's so unsupportive of your children's safety.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh Dawn, my heart goes out to you. When my kids were babies, there were no child protection laws. It took so long for the judicial system to discover that our children are our future. I am so grateful that they finally realize that more needs to be done to protect our children from the poor judgement of the adults surrounding them. Be strong--stay home if you have to. Your kids are your responsibility and it is one that I know you accept. Don't allow anyone else sway your decision. Your children depend on you to protect them from all harm or danger. Bless you for being such a caring Mommy.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed