Thursday, August 30, 2007

So I called the doctor's office at 8:00 this morning and the nurse took down my symptoms, etc. and said that she would talk to the doctor and call me back. At 9:00 am I still hadn't heard anything so I called, she said, "I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet about your situation, let me do that and call you right back." I was FURIOUS. I told her too that I think it's incredibly irresponsible to not have talked to the doctor about a patient who's having preterm labor within an hour of her call. She called me back an hour later, so 10:00 am and said that the doctor said that if the terbutaline is making me feel bad, just don't take it anymore. There's nothing he can do, I'm either going to have the baby or I'm not and I've had steroids so that's it. I feel incredibly dumped off. I started bawling. I told her I feel really uncomfortable with not taking the meds because Justin was born prematurely and I feel uncomfortable with taking them with no one checking my blood pressure or anything out because I feel so horrible on them. And she just said, "well take them or don't, it's up to you." That's it...that's the fabulous advice.

Then she says to just keep my appointment for tomorrow morning so that we can do the fFN test. (She didn't know what it was called, she said, "that one test, with the swab".)

I feel VERY MUCH like I've been pushed aside, that my care is NOT a priority, that my health is NOT a priority and that my baby's health is NOT a priority. So I've been sitting here crying cause I don't know what to do. Do I demand to be seen and then just have the office staff treat me more horribly? Do I just go to L&D and deal with his attitude if/when he comes to see me? Do I try to find a new doctor? Do I stop the meds because I'm really worried about my blood pressure and pulse on them? Do I continue the meds because it might prevent her from being born early? I feel like I'm supposed to be able to depend on someone educated in this field and he's basically just telling me there's nothing else he can do for me. Which is a load of crap because other things were done for me with Justin and he managed to hang in for three more weeks.

Anyhow, I don't know what to do. Kev wants to go talk to the doctor directly, I am so sick about it all I don't even want to step foot in the doctor's office. I am seriously considering just stopping the meds and going to labor and delivery when things pick up later today and then demanding a second opinion from another doctor at the hospital before consenting to any treatment or LACK of treatment from my doctor. I'm just so disappointed in my care. And confused.

5 comments:

Kara said...

I'm so sorry your dr doesn't seem to care, that's awful! I would go to L&D and tell them what's going on with the meds and that your dr isn't being helpful and you want a different dr to give you a 2nd opinion.

Sarah A. said...

I think that the nurse and dr. sound incredibly insensitive and RUDE! I agree with Kara. And I think you should do whatever you feel you need to!

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, that's terrible!! I can't believe your doctor would be so insensitive. Is this the same doc who was with you throughout your pre-pregnancy, too? 'Cause I had thought he was pretty caring and understanding and helpful (if I remember right). This is really just ... shocking!

As for what you should do, I don't have any advice, but I will be praying that Heavenly Father will guide your decisions. I'd ask for a blessing if you haven't already. *huge hugs*

Kris said...

Please find a new doctor!

Natalie said...

That's unacceptable! You need a new doctor, one that does his/her job and sees a patient when something like this arises.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed