Friday, August 31, 2007

Well I do feel more reassured.

When I got there my blood pressure was elevated so they had me lay down in a procedure room until it was my turn to be seen, and my bp came down to within acceptable range. Then the doctor spent a long time going over research on different types of drugs for PTL and basically explained that no study definitively proves that any preterm labor drugs really work, and that past prolonging labor until steroids can be given for baby's lungs, the side effects and risks outweight the benefits of using them extensively.

Basically he said that the only things that really work are not irritating the cervix further, so staying on bedrest and pelvic rest helps because you keep pressure off the cervix, other than that, he said there isn't much that can be done, you're either predetermined to have your baby early genetically/physiologically whatever, or you're not.

I don't know - on one hand with Justin I do felt like the magnesium helped, but on hte other hand who knows if I would have hung on just as long without it.

Anyhow, he did say that all he can really do to reassure me is to make sure that as long as I am pregnant that me and the baby are as healthy as we can be. I got a prescription for antibiotics because there seems to be some kind of infection showing up in my blood work, and I am going weekly now, on Tuesdays for alternating things - one week I'll get an NST and then see him, and the next I'll get a Biophysical Profile and then see him...so I feel better that he's keeping an eye on us.

I did voice my concerns over the busyness of the office and how long waits are and how long the return call for something so important was and he agreed and said he does need to try to focus harder on his patients and so on. He apologized and said that wouldnt happen again and that he will be making sure that I'm well taken care of from here on out...so hopefully, we'll see.

Anyhow, I'm exhausted - I swear I have to pee every hour on the hour...LOL So I'm gonna go nap before Kev gets home wiht the boys (his sister is watching them for us.)

5 comments:

Beth said...

Glad your appointment went well, and I hope the doc lives up to his promises regarding the office procedures!

Natalie said...

I'm glad you're feeling better about things!

maren out my laundry said...

glad it was a good appointment and I really hope his staff and him do step it up!

Rachel said...

I'm glad things are going better. I think doctors have bad days sometimes and it can shake our faith in them. Hopefully he'll be more attentive.

Kirsten said...

Well look what link I found! I had no idea you were pregnant! And it looks like you are pretty far along too.

Congratulations! Jayden is such a cute name for your 3rd little boy. Our old neighbor had a little boy named Jayden and he was so cute! Wow! All boys! Congratulations.

I hope things will calm down and you can get some rest.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed