Well Jakey took the state standardized testing for his school in like April or something and we got the test results yesterday. He did VERY poorly, especially in Language Arts. I feel like this is a reflection on me since I am his teacher and I feel horribly. On one hand I think "some people just don't test well" and on the other hand I think "Oh no, what have I done?" I do think that he did REALLY well with the curriculum and the testing we did for that, so I'm just not sure why he did so poorly on this test.
Maybe he was just super excited to be in a classroom with other kids his age and couldn't really concentrate on the test? Maybe he didn't understand how to fill out the test? I just don't know.
Then of course Kevin was super concerned about this all too and totally jumped me because this test says he reads very poorly, I handed Kevin and Jakey The Book of Mormon and told him have him read any verse to you, he did, and Jakey read it, the kid CAN read, and HARD words. Then we read a chapter, and asked Jakey what happened, he explained in great detail what was going on. He OBVIOUSLY can read, and comprehend...so what happened?
Yeah so my self worth being so closely tied to my child's successes in school can't be good for me....but I'm still gonna feel terrible because I feel like I failed him...I sure hope things go better next year. I kind of think if it's an excitement over being in a regular classroom thing it'll be fixed this year becuase he'll be going to a regular school on Tuesdays from 9-12:30. I sure hope so, I feel terrible! Sigh....oh well we'll just have to try harder this coming year I suppose.
Week 26: Recovering
5 years ago

4 comments:
(((hugs))) I'm sure you did a great job teaching him, since he obviously can read and understand fine. You're right, it was probably just the excitement of being in a class with other kids.
That low test score really does sound like a fluke. Is there a way he can retake it? Or will you just have to wait and see what happens with him next year?
You know I can identify with that feeling of basing your self-worth off of your kids' successes -- it's so hard not to, since your kids are your job as a SAHM! But you ARE doing so many things right with Jakey, especially the important things. *hugs*
Nicholas had this reading program at school and they have to be able to read EVERY book and answer all the questions about it or they do not move on to second grade. He came home with like 10 books that they said he could not read. We worked with him on EVERY book and he still did not pass all the books until the day before the big awards ceremony. What made me so mad was they told him he was going to fail 1st grade if he did not pass these reading exams. Like that was an incentive to get him to pass it. Nicholas can read The Book of Mormon really well too and I know he can read and understand and he had all A's and B's on his report card, so how can you tell a kid he is going to fail. I don't know if going to public school would have changed anything for you or not, just my experience with public school. I wish I had enough nerve to do what you are doing by homeschooling. Anyways, I would not feel down on yourself, I know that is easier said than done though. Hugs!
Obviously if he can read and comprehend you are doing great. Just a bad tester, I was always that way. Its hard, which is why I couldn't do what you are doing but you are doing great and you can see that by how he reads!
Post a Comment