Monday, September 10, 2007

What a day!

I called Kevin's eye doctor place at 8:00 to see if they would see him with pink eye. The receptionist said to hold and she asked the doctor and they assured her (and me) that they could see and treat his eye infection while doing his annual eye exam today. So we get there and they don't take our HEALTH insurance so if we want them to treat the infection it'll be cash out of pocket and they can't do his eye exam because with the infection the results will come out differently then when his eye is well. Well freakin duh!!! Ugh. I was SO upset, I don't think Kevin is going to be able to use that office again because I was so upset that I CALLED and was told something else, and they wasted my TIME AND ENERGY. Then the assistant says, "we won't charge you for today." Well good thing cause I wasn't planning on paying for NOTHING! Ugh.

Anyhow I called Kevin's primary care dr, but Kevin's not an established patient because he hasn't been to the dr since our insurance changed in January. Luckily I have, and since I was established they went ahead and made him a same day appointment. For 2:45.

So we live on the outskirts of town and all doctors are in town or on the other side of town from us, so we chose to go to Kevin's grandma's house to wait for the appointment. Well his grandma had a doctor's appointment herself so we ended up going to his mom's house down the street. My MIL has like 8 cats (not joking) and 2 small dogs and then some outside dogs as well. Well I was starving so I had grabbed a burger and was eating it when one of the cats attacked me. I am NOT a fan of cats really, one I can handle, more then one and I just feel surrounded and grossed out. Cats are way more "animal" then dogs are to me. Anyhow so thankfully by then his grandma was home and we could wait down there.

FINALLY, 2:45 comes and I swear it was like taking one of the kids to the pediatrician - Kevin didn't know where the office was, forgot all the things that I asked him to mention (His high blood pressure, a rash on his legs, his runny nose and cough, and the eyes of course) so finally he's like I don't know, she remembers what all I wanted to talk to you about, and the doctor just laughed and said for some husbands it really is like their wives taking them to the pediatrician...LOL

Kevin's blood pressure however, is NOT a laughing matter. He is going to die and leave me with three kids I tell ya. I about had a stroke myself when they took it. After he rested it came down to 135/103. (the first one was 180/120!) Anyhow the doctor wants him to come back in two weeks to get on blood pressure meds and have a pre-physical. Kevin needs a Department of Transportation physical by October 28th and he cannot pass it with blood pressure that high so he's going to have to get on meds (which take 3 weeks to work) in order to pass it this year.

Also, yep, it's pink eye. Some sulfer eye drops and he's going to be fine. Our kids have had pink eye a few times and it bugs them but they generally don't complain too much - Kevin is doing all the complaining for them. LOL I know it hurts, I'd rather have a horrible cold then pink eye because it does seriously hurt, but still. LOL Only one of us can be on bedrest and today I did WAY more then I should have. I had to take brethine for the contractions because I just couldn't hang. Also my feet are hugely swollen and the primary care dr (who knows my OB) freaked out at the sight of them and had the nurse take my bp too - I'm all good though 130/80 (not great, but not like Kevin's for sure!).

Anyhow, so that was my fun adventures. I'll spare you Adventures In Filling A Prescription At Walgreens, and Travels to Kinkos to Fax Kevin's Time Card and Dr's Note, also we're skipping the "Are We Done/There Yet?" chorus from the kids, you're all lucky really. LOL

After a day like today - bedrest doesn't seem so bad.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! That is high blood pressure. I hope the meds help him.

Natalie said...

I hate days like that! Sorry it was so stressful!

Kate said...

Whew! Sounds like it was a busy, stressful day . . . hope that Kevin's bp is going to be helped greatly by the meds and that today is a RESTFUL day for you, girl! :)

Lorie said...

That is really high blood pressure and yeah it will take at least three weeks to figure out the right med and dose, that is the tricky part. You are going to get yourself in big trouble if you do not take it easy. You know I am just worried about you.:)Hugs!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed