I wonder if it's just that my friends and I are all getting to a certain age or what, but ALOT of my IRL friends (and a few OL ones) are getting divorced. Last night's news of a formerly very close IRL friend who was married the same week as Kevin and I, was pretty shocking. Another IRL friend who got married the week after us, also getting divorced. Is it the "7 year itch" or what? My mom says that it's as we all near 30, we're just not the same as we were in our teens/early twenties (all high school sweethearts) and that we are going to have a higher rate of divorce because we never really dated anyone else. I mean Kevin and I have our issues, sometimes pretty major ones, but I can't see getting a divorce. It really jades "love" to see everyone around us getting divorced. Like, do marriages really work out? Of everyone of my closest girlfriends, and our parents, we've been married almost the longest (save my mom (second marriage) who got married only 1 year before Kevin and I started dating, but her first marriage didn't last as long as ours has).
What do you think? Do people really change that much as they near 30 that they grow apart from their spouses?
Week 26: Recovering
5 years ago

3 comments:
They don't have to. I think a lot of times, as people hit that 7 year/30-something "itch" they're looking for that "new love" feeling . . . they don't understand that real love is deeper than the flutterings and twitterpaitedness of "first love". You need to "fall" in love with your spouse over and over again . . . and I think people forget that. Of course, I am only going on one more year of experience in the marriage department, though both James and I are into our 30s now . . .
Yes people change, but people need to work harder to embrace that change and find the love they once had. Divorce is much too easy and its much easier to just give up. But very few people, that will never happen so I think in some ways its good they can move on and be happy (hopefully that will be me!)
Dh and I are both 30, we've been married for eight years, we've got five kids, and we are both still very much in love with each other. We are tired as heck by the end of the day. We are often lacking in sleep and money. Life is stressful, but we are able to draw strength from trying to live the gospel together, with eternal marriage in mind. I don't know how any marriage could survive without the Lord's guidance. I don't know how any marriage could fail WITH it.
Post a Comment