Saturday, June 09, 2007

Wow, the retreat was FANTASTIC!!

As the mother of two young children, who homeschools so I don't get the "normal" amount of "away" time from them with school or whatnot, and as someone in Primary, I do not get adult conversation, especially on gospel topics, as often as I NEED them. I love being home with my kids, and I love serving in Primary, but this weekend really "refilled" me so I could go on spiritually.

On Friday afternoon we got there (what a windy road!! LOL) at around 1:00. There were already quite a few people there so we found bunks in a cabin and set up our stuff...then we sat around and told stories, laughed, got to know eachother better, played games. We played a game called "Farckle", interesting name huh? It's a dice game...anyhow it was HILARIOUS and we had a ton of fun playing. There is a British lady in our ward and when she said "Farckle" I couldn't help but laugh. It was so fun! I really got to know the sisters in my ward and stake so much better!

Friday night I ate WAYYYYYYYY too much candy, chocolate, pizza, things I shouldn't have eaten!! I even had a smore to top it all off, and boy was I not feeling so great when I went to bed at 1:00 am after sitting up talking to some sisters in my ward!!!

On Saturday we had breakfast and then 2 workshops and a keynote speaker...the theme was really just relaxing, not stressing, just letting things go more and being ok with it. The keynote speaker's main point was, "It is what it is." And it definately is true! She also said her RS Pres (in UT we had an out-of-town keynote speaker) has a saying, "If you want to see me, come anytime. If you want to see my house, make an appointment." THAT is the most true thing, I am constantly apologizing when people stop by because I can't mop the floors right now and they're dustier than I like, or what not.

After lunch we all headed home. We stopped by the 100 Giants Trail and I had my picture taken inside a huge Sequoia tree, my friend is going to email the pics. We had fantastic conversations in the car on the way home about repentance and our temple sealings/weddings, trials and temptations, just very spiritual topics, and it was nice to hear experiences of the other sisters in my ward, when we were alone.

It was a fabulous time. The stake president said they're going to make it an annual thing because he has felt the Spirit in the camp and that we, as women, need this, and what a benefit it is going to be to our families and those we serve by refilling ourselves spiritually with a time like this. They're even going to see if they can get some priesthood up there to cook for us next year on Saturday morning. I got to know our stake Relief Society President that much more, I was surprised she even knew my name, but she did....and her counselors...other people in other wards from other cities around Bakersfield even...it was fantastic!

Anyhow, I can say enough about what a positive thing this weekend was for me...it was definately a much needed "retreat"! (And I came home and the house hadn't even burned down!)

4 comments:

Kara said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! I'm glad you were able to go. I wish our RS did something like that.

Jennie said...

how great! don't you just love those kinds of things... you know, when you feel like you are on such a spiritual high?

that is so exciting for you!!!

Kate said...

I'm glad it was such a good time! :)

Dawn said...

Kara - I am surprised more don't...I think it's alot of work - I certainly hope our stake RS presidency puts together a committee or something for next year cause I saw her at church today and she looked like she needed a retreat from the retreat! LOL But it's so important for women to have those times to bond!

Jennie - yep, exactly, a much needed spiritual high!

Kate - thanks!

Some of the ladies in our ward who didn't go asked me about it today and when I told them about it they seemed more interested in going next year. Our ward goes over night to those Time Out For Women conferences when they're down by Long Beach or somewhere close, and stays in a hotel, those are awesome experiences. Especailly since alot of us serve in auxillaries that take us out of RS.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed