On Friday I sent a note with Jakey to school for his teacher giving her my email address and asking her to email me if she had any concerns about Jakey and/or when her testing of his level in math and reading was done so we could discuss where he is. She emailed me right after school and said that she wanted to meet with me on Monday, was I available. I emailed her back telling her I can be, and then received an email from her saying to meet in the office because we're going to be meeting with the Vice Principal and the Academic Coach. Ack. She specifically says not to let this alarm me, but I am a little worried.
Honestly, I have no idea what to do with Jakey. I was never a student like him and I can't imagine having his challenges. School, especially elementary school, came very easily to me and I was a good student. Jakey is more of a challenge. I've mentioned before I can see some learning disabilities manifesting themselves and he has had a diagnosis of ADHD but we chose not to medicate, and it would take another round of testing and a long talk with a psychologist for me to even consider reconsidering my position on this. I don't like that label AT ALL. I don't think it's that accurate - I think it's more like "This Child Will Not Conform - ADHD".
Anyhow, I'm nervous. I asked Kevin to take the day off and go with me but he can't because he's hourly now and his 1 year (so he'll have personal time and vacation, etc.) isn't until February 15th. So I'm definitely going alone. I also want to go without Jayden so I'm not distracted or emotional (I cry sometimes when I nurse her, it makes my hormones wonky) and obviously Justin does not need to be there, my SIL is babysitting a little boy that's still a baby and I don't like having her watch two babies and my MIL is off but that's because she's supposed to be looking for a new job on Mondays so she changed her schedule, but we explained the situation to her and she agreed to babysit Jayden and Justin for us while I go to the meeting.
Then there is Kevin, he's mad at me for not recognizing Jakey needed help sooner. I wish he'd quit blaming me, trust me, I feel bad enough that Jakey has academic issues. Could I have dealt with them better/sooner? Probably, but he's just as legally able to enroll Jakey in whatever program he wants, etc. as I am. I think we're passive agressively frustrated with eachother though because I blame his genes for this, I know, I shouldn't but I do.
Anyhow, ugh, I've got knots in my stomach just thinking about tomorrow. Oh well, the worst case scenario is Jakey repeating 3rd grade which is not the end of the world because in almost any other state in the country he'd only be in 2nd grade anyways because his b-day is Oct 28th and our cut off is Dec 2nd here in CA.
Week 26: Recovering
5 years ago

4 comments:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that all goes well.
I was one of the oldest in my grade, Sept. 1 was the dead line and my b-day is the 24th, it was actually nice. I could drive and date before most of my friends. :) So if he does get held back it might be a blessing in disguise.
I hope you will all find some things that will help Jakey succeed. Good luck with the meeting!
My husband (you know, the smart guy that speaks another tech-language! LOL) shares Jakey's birthday -- his mom chose to start him "late" in Kindergarten (the cut-off was after his birthday; is this a California thing??) for some reason. I think she always kind of regretted it, but *I* sure don't -- we never would have met if we hadn't been the same year at school (since we met as incoming freshman together at BYU. Who knows if he would have even GOTTEN to BYU if he hadn't been given an extra year to grow and develop and learn -- he did well enough in math/science but I think he really would have struggled in some of the other subjects had he been pushed ahead of where he was developmentally.)
Anyway -- thinking of you and Jakey today!
So sorry to hear of your anxiety but you know, Dawn, this is no one's fault and you are wasting time and energy worrying about things you cannot change. All you can change is how you are, how you see things, how you react to things. Jake is his own person and if he needs extra help, that doesn't make him any less wonderful. He will still be that great kid that makes you smile and who loves his family and who skated with a girl at the skating party!!!! He will be fine. I find it strange that each state has a different cut-off date for entering school. In Iowa, you don't have to start until you are 7 and cannot start until you are 5 after Sep.15. My boys' birthdays were Sep 13 and 28. One was always the youngest and the other always the oldest. Crazy!
Good luck in the principal's office. It's still creepy, isn't it?
you put jakey back into school? I had no idea, I am a great friend. Hope it went ok today!
Post a Comment