Sunday, January 20, 2008

Any Advice?

We still don't know where we're moving because that one house fell through and we just haven't found anything else. We had been waiting to move to put Jakey back in regular school and since we don't know when that will happen, I just can't wait anymore. I feel so bad, it's so difficult to homeschool Jakey since Jayden was born and he really needs to be back in regular school.

He's going to have to go back to the school we pulled him from because that's the school we're in the district for and we don't feel right about lying about where we live to get him in somewhere else. I'm going to call on Tuesday and set up a meeting - or so I hope - with the vice principal or principal or whomever they want me to meet with. I have alot of concerns about Jakey and about the school.

Does anyone have any advice in what I should say? I want my child treated fairly by all the children in the school. Our main problems last time were that the children were speaking Spanish on the playground and not letting Jakey play basketball and not speaking to him at all, completely isolating him. Then when I went in to meet with his teacher I found that she had been told by one of the students that Jakey threatened to beat a girl up so she had moved Jakey to a table by himself and hadn't called and told me, Jakey hadn't told me because he thought he would be in trouble - that I wouldn't believe him that he didn't say he'd beat up a girl, and he'd been seperated for a week from the class. I was FURIOUS. Not only was he ostracized by the kids on the playground but by the teacher too? When I went to speak with her about it my cellphone rang and I said "let me turn this off, I'm not answering it just pushing it off" and when I looked down to my cell the teacher and the campus security guy started speaking to eachother in SPANISH in front of me! I was so mad, I mean that's what we're here talking about, how Jakey feels separated from the kids because they won't talk to him and then she's going to do the same thing to me?! I tried to talk to the principal but the school was under construction at the time and she was busy with the construction and so I just pulled him and homeschooled him. Besides the construction, those things aren't going to change without the school wanting them to.

So what do I say? Even to get the appointment? Who should I ask to talk to? Any ideas?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

That's a tough situation! That's crazy that they're all speaking Spanish, gah! Will he be in a different teacher's class? That might make a world of difference. My second grade teacher was the biggest waste of space ever and was rude to me for reasons beyond my control (I'm on only child which she hated my mom for, I was always late...um, I didn't drive myself there so that wasn't my fault). Then my third grade teacher was the best teacher I've ever had. Good luck!

Oh and I'll try to post that fish recipe tomorrow.

Jennie said...

ooohhh... that is tough! i am not sure... i have never had to be in that situation before!

the best thing i can say is stand up for your child! no one can but you!

be strong! you can do it!!!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

It is your right and responsibility to stand up for your child. You should go to the top-the principal. Discuss your personal experience as well as Jake's. He will have to toughen up as he gets older but it would be irresponsible to put him back into the same situation. You have the right to expect fair treatment for your child and he certainly deserves the best the system has. If this school cannot guarantee that he will be treated fairly, you must go to the superintendent. That teacher should have been required to record that incident and you should have received a copy of the iincident report. She should be taken before the board and charges should be brought. I can't believe you let her get away with that when it happened but you were pregnant and probably out of condition for a fight. There has to be a solution that will benefit all concerned and a good principal would be anxious to make things right. Poor Jake--this is a tough spot for him...
My son lives in Las Vegas and my grandson goes to a predominately Hispanic school. He had a hard time at first but he adjusted. He even made friends with a nice Hispanic boy. This brings up the question of English as a first language in all schools! An issue that hasn't been resolved as yet.... I have strong opinions about that issue. Please, Dawn, try to make this work for Jake's sake. He deserves the best you can do and at his age, there are so few facets to life. Help him to be happy and comfortable everywhere he goes....

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed