Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ah, it's a new year! I'll share my past week by first catching up on sharing my Christmas pictures!

Jakey and Justin with the gifts from Santa - Jakey got an iPod Shuffle and Justin got a laptop



Jayden never looks when her brothers are in the picture - she just loves to stare at them! LOL


Jakey opening his favorite gift, a game for his PS2



See my Christmas present with the silver bow, yep, that's all I wanted this year!



Yeah she was fairly unimpressed with Christmas, LOL





Then we went to the cabin, our time there was great...until it was time to leave, but I'll get to that later. Justin LIVED for the snow, he loved being in it and would wake up at 6:00 am and want to get his snow clothes on so he could get back out in it and had to be dragged into the cabin every night out of it! LOL He and Jakey particularly loved sledding!





This was Erica in the snow, LOL - she was less than thrilled with it. She preferred to stay in the cabin and play with dolls and Jayden, LOL.







Then it came time to leave. Kevin was originally going to come up Saturday but he had alot of work to do so when I talked to him on Saturday he said he was going to leave at 6:00 am on Sunday morning to come up to get us. I was disappointed but ok. He had borrowed his boss' vehicle so that there would be more room for getting our stuff home from the cabin. Well apparently, he knew I was disappointed so he decided at 8:00 pm on Saturday night to leave Bakersfield to surprise me. He told NO ONE that he was leaving. Sunday morning comes and by 9:00 am (it takes two hours to get to our cabin) I'm a little worried. By 11:00 am I'm sick to my stomach and beside myself with worry. I started calling his grandma and his boss and his family and our friends to find out when he had left, maybe he overslept? By 2:00 pm I was throwing up, crying, scared, worried, getting grey hairs, where was my husband? At 2:30 when I had set a deadline of 3 pm for calling the sheriff's department to search for him Kevin WALKED up to the cabin. Yep, walked. Kevin had gone a different way then I had told him to take (truck drivers, they think they can just outline perfect roads on maps, but sometimes those roads are ones that aren't a priority for plowing in the winter!) and he had gotten his boss' car STUCK IN THE SNOW. 10 MILES AWAY! He'd spent the night in the car (thank goodness I didn't know that he had left the night before I would have probably had a stroke, but would have sent help sooner) and then at first light he had started the hike through 10 miles of mountains to the cabin to get help. It makes me sick to think of him out in the snow for 10 miles with no food, water, and not dressed properly for the weather. (Just a sweater, no jacket!) We borrowed my mom's car and left and Kevin and his boss went back up there with a work truck to unstick the car from the snow. There is no cell service in the Sequoia National Forest, so this was around 5:00 pm when they left, by 11:30 pm that night I was SICK with worry again, 6 hours they had been gone to a spot only 1.5 hours from town! I set a deadline for midnight to call the sheriff's department when FINALLY I got his boss on the cell and he said they were back in cell range and everything was ok. I am SO GLAD that they were both ok, oh man, what a day that was! I was waiting up for news with Kevin's grandma at her house and I think she did better then me with the waiting, LOL. Kevin's retold his story of what happened to him in the snow, but I can't even bear to think of it...maybe another time, it was amazing he found us though - a miracle.

Anyhow, I was just emotionally spent at the end of 2007....thank goodness my family is whole today. Happy New Year everyone.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

happy new year!

i am so glad that everything is ok! that is scarey!

best of luck in 2008!

Lorie said...

Your baby is so cute! You look like you had a good Christmas.

Happy New Year!

Beth said...

Cute pictures! I love that Jayden prefers to look at her brothers rather than the camera. :-)

And I'm so glad everything is okay with Kevin! Whoa, that is SCARY! I'm glad I'm not seeing you guys on CNN or anything.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Men- go figure! They try so hard to do something nice.....Poor Kevin. Let's pray things go easier for him in 2008! At least the kids didn't have to share your worries. Looks like the vacation part was alot of fun! The pics are fab. Jayden is growing like the proverbial weed! Take care of yourself. You worry too much about things you have no control over. It's hard but you have to turn some things-hopefully all thngs- over to God. Let go-Let God!
HUGS:)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed