Sunday, January 06, 2008

Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam

But Justin doesn't think so! For a few weeks now we've been prepping Justin that he's going to be leaving the nursery and his beloved "Papa Bob" (Nursery Leader who is about 70, been in nursery for about 25 years and WON'T be released, LOL - he LOVES the kids). So today we switch to the 9:30 schedule of going to Sacrament Meeting first and then we're preparing to go to class. I lost Justin in the hallway where our ward and the other ward were trying to switch places (from the classrooms to the chapel) and couldn't find him for a while - then I looked in the nursery - he had escaped into there so I had to drag him kicking and screaming back to Primary.

We regrouped and sent the kids to classes and Justin wasn't having any of that, he freaked out at the thought of going to class with the sister teaching the Sunbeams and CTR5 class. Finally we resigned ourselves to letting him sit in the Primary room waiting for the other kids to come back. He sat there reverently in his row. Then the kids came back from class and he FREAKED out when his teacher tried to sit next to him. He laid on the floor screaming, "I want Papa Bob, I want goldfish, I want toys, I want nursery!" So we had to drag him out the Primary room.

Kevin's a nursery leader too but I didn't want to take Justin into the nursery to get him and I had to do Sharing Time in a few minutes so I sent someone to nursery for Kevin and he came and sat with Justin in the hall, he still couldn't calm him down. I mean Justin, nearly four years old, screamed like he was being murdered and would not stop, so Kevin had to take him out to the car.

That's the worst transition to Primary I've ever seen! What am I doing wrong? Ugh. Totally stinks that he's so terrified of Primary and wants to be in nursery. When we got home he went straight to bed and he's totally asleep, he was exhausted but we made sure he went to bed on time last night and he got good sleep...we even made him a big breakfast so he could live without snacks. I just don't know what to do with him! Poor kid! And I have Sharing Time all month!

4 comments:

Lorie said...

My twins went to Sunbeams today for the first time. They did not like going in a room with nothing in it, but were really good. The teacher told me that they were not going to start taking them into the Primary Share time for awhile. So, she did not know how she was going to make them sit for 2 hours in a room with nothing in it. Well when I picked them up she was giving them a snack the Primary President had given in. The teacher told me she could only make them sit for 30 minutes and they were so good in there seats. I do not think my 3 year olds could sit in a chair for 1 hour. So, what do the Sunbeams do in your ward. All three who are in our Sunbeams just came from Nursery.
I hope Sunbeams becomes easier for you.

Jennie said...

wow... good luck! i hope it goes better next week! i don't have much experience with that stuff... sorry!

Beth said...

Logan went to Sunbeams for the first time yesterday too. He did pretty good -- the nursery leaders sent them to sit in on part of Primary for the past month, so he was familiar with the idea and excited about it, too. Still, even when I took him to "the big room," he looked a little nervous and unsure.

I'm lucky to be in a ward where there are a LOT of new Sunbeams (nine other kids moved up with Logan) and so the nursery and Primary people have devoted lots of time to helping them adapt to the new idea. Plus, he was always pretty good about staying in nursery without us -- only a few Sundays at the beginning was it hard -- so maybe he's more adaptable than I think he is.

Does he have any friends that moved up to Sunbeams with him, or any new friends that could encourage him to the new class? I wonder if, coming from someone other than a parent, Sunbeams would seem more agreeable. Just an idea; I know Logan likes to report about his friends from church.

Anyway, I'm sure things will work out soon! He just needs time to adjust, and that's okay!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

You just have to be the "BOSS" and practice tuff love. Take him and leave him and let the teacher handle it. You and he will benefit from that. He needs to be just a lttle more independent,
Thanks for info.about your life,etc. My parents live in Nauvoo,Il. We are a Catholic family but we love what the Mormons are doing in their small town. They don't have slums, or piles of junk. Everything is so orderly and they are all very sweet.
They have a fantastic place called the Adventure Zone that has an arcade, go-cart track, jungle gym and great food. We take the grandkids there for fun.
I don't kmow much about the religious aspects but I do read several Mormon families blogs. Interesting!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed