Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm "Unethical"?!?!?

This afternoon I was sitting here resting a bit and our landlord came to the door. Yesterday was the first and she called twice and we weren't home and we tried to return her call twice, so we could discuss the foreclosure with her. She didn't return our phone calls. So, she shows up at the door and was like, "So, I'm here to collect the rent." Well I didn't want the boys to overhear my conversation so I told her give me a sec to get my keys to the car and I've got some papers for you. So I grabbed the keys and we went out front. I gave her a copy of the foreclosure papers and told her, "what's up with this house being in foreclosure?" She looked at the papers for a few minutes and she's like, "this house isn't in foreclosure, it's for sale." I told her the top of that paper says NOTICE OF DEFAULT, it's in foreclosure. She kept arguing with me and telling me it wasn't and so on. Now she's not the owner of the house, she's just his "agent" because he doesn't live here locally, so she called the owner of the house. She spoke to him in Spanish and so I didn't understand what she was saying and then she says, "he promises it's not in foreclosure and wants to know if you're going to pay your October rent or not." I told her why? What's it going to get me? Somewhere to live? And she's like well yeah, you still have to pay rent whether or not the house is in foreclosure. And I said, you're right, I do pay my obligations and I do feel that they are entitled to my regular rent of $1100 even if the house is in foreclosure -HOWEVER I paid a $2000 deposit and I KNOW I'm not getting that back since he can't afford the house payments. She said it was none of my business what he could afford or couldn't afford (UM YEAH it is if it's about my deposit!) And so I said that I think that as long as we're not staying here past using our $2000 deposit we are in the right. She said, "what about cleaning fees when you move?" and I said, the bank is going to sell this house - the new owner isn't buying it because its in "rental ready condition" they're just buying a house at auction someone stopped making payments on, they generally don't expect it to be perfect but we weren't going to leave the house a dump. She was like what if we get it out of foreclosure - good for them, I don't trust them! So she's like "how soon can you be out?" I told her not until December 1st, our $2000 deposit covers us until then. And she seemed annoyed, during the whole thing she was rolling her eyes and groaning at whatever I said that she didn't agree with.

Then the conversation took a turn for the worse, she started yelling at me that I'm "Unethical" because I expect to get something for nothing - and I started screaming right back "I'M UNETHICAL? I think the person whose taken my rent money for the past six months and not made the house payments to ensure that I would have a home for my two young boys and new baby is unethical, the person who doesn't have my security deposit is unethical, the person who still doesn't want to be honest with us about the foreclosure is UNETHICAL." I totally freaked, I'm sorry if we didn't have this huge deposit that we are LOSING because he didn't hold up his end of the deal here that covers two months worth of rent - THEN I'd be acting unethically - I just refuse to sit here and be screwed on this house when the money WAS ours - we deserve it back and since that's going to be like getting blood from a turnip I want the deposit the only way I know how. I also yelled at her, "what's he going to do with the rent money anyways? Pay it up? I don't think so! Tell him that his rent money is whatever he spent my deposit on." Then she yelled at me, "well I sure hope your heater works, we won't be making any more repairs to the house." Yeah. Me too.

Anyhow I was freaking out and shaking by the end of the conversation - in good news I did not cry!

6 comments:

Kate said...

Sheesh! Some people's children! *rolls eyes dramatically* I'm sorry you had to go through all that . . . just plain hoovers, I tell ya!

Stacey said...

Gosh, what a couple of winners! Way to go for sticking to your guns Dawn! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. *HUGS*

Sarah A. said...

Oh man, what a pain some people are! I think you did the right thing!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I would so have cried. Funny that anger brings me to tears faster than any other emotion.
You were right. They do owe you a place until your deposit is spent on the place you live in. Being an agent for a slug like that guy must be tough. She was probably in such a snit because she isn't getting paid unless you pay! Too bad for her and her shiftless client! Good for you and best of luck finding another place and really sorry it has to be at a time that is supposed one of your happiest times.

Natalie said...

Way to stand your ground!!!

Jennie said...

oh my goodness! i am appalled that she would say all of those things!!!

i am so glad that you stood up to her! i am not sure that i could have, even though i would have wanted too!

go you!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed